Translate

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Wedding Gift Roasted Tikuanyin part two












Emmett and I have been wanted to solve the mystery of the white little bags of Tikuanyin. This tin of Oolong was given to my mother in-law when my sister in-law was married in 2005. I thought at first this Oolong was just high roasted and had no idea it was aged. Emmett and I think this Oolong is about 10 plus years, may be older. I took pictures of the tin but could not find a date :o( . When it was purchased though my mother was told it was already age for some time?





 Now for the tasting notes. After the first rise you get honey, nectarine and smokey smell. The color of the liquor is dark yellow. First infusion tastes like honey and spicy. When I tasted this Oolong for the first time I though it tasted like a Rock Wu Yi but different (probably from the high roasting) .

I must have gotten more than ten infusions and the leaves as you can see still have not fully unrolled yet . If you want to read more check out Cha & Kung Fu:

Wedding Gift Roasted Tikuanyin 

One thing if you seen this age Oolong let me know please.






5 comments:

  1. I have seen this tgy from seadyke.Where are you from samurai ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to see this tea again, brings back memories. I've got the can about five years ago in china-town in Amsterdam. It must have been very cheap (maybe 10 euro?). It was one of the first oolongs i've ever tasted. I hadn't seen a tea like that before. (In fact I hadn't seen any chinese store before. So I would spent hours browsing them in excitement, buying food and things i had no idea what they were, and trying to figure out how to consume them.) I remember the tea was quite astringent, pretty rough to my stomach i must say. However I got a couple of great sessions with it. Once, being in my grandpa's cottage in the country, I would I empty the whole little bag in an old heavy porcelain teapot filled with boiling water and let it steep on, as you can imagine after an hour the tea became really strong; we would drink it with a friend of mine while smoking some hashish that i also brought with me. It gave me a strong feeling of electricity shivering in my flesh through all my body. It was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! ten euros! you won't believe me if I told you this tea was purchased for probably two to three hundred US dollars as a gift in hong kong! If you know any about hong kong, as am learning, the venders who have shop in the expensive part of hong kong have to sell their tea at very high mark up to pay the rent! And thats a very high mark up!
    Thanks for sharing how this tea tasted new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seing recently the green yunnan xiaguan tuocha being sold for $215 at hou-de, i'm not that surprised anymore. i suppose there can be a big difference between different vintages. ;)

    ReplyDelete